Community Information

Burn Laws 

Controlled burns in the Stony Point area:

If you are planning on having a controlled burn in the Stony Point area please call the station to notify the personnel. When calling, state your name, address of the burn, and scheduled time of the burn. The station number is: (434) 973-7733.

Live Burns can be reported to the Charlottesville Emergency Communication Center (ECC) at (434) 971-1765. In addition to notifying ECC please “Report” your burn by clicking the link below and filling out the information. This will allow the on duty personnel to see where they have live burns should some call it in.

 

 

Chimney fires:

bon-fire

What is Chimney Fire and what is it caused by?
To answer this question we must first understand what occurs when wood, especially (but not limited to) poor quality wood, is used as fuel for the fire.
As your fire burns, it produces a by-product know as CREOSOTECreosote deposits result from the incomplete combustion of wood, and this black, tar-like substance will stick to and build-up on the walls of chimneys. Creosote is a highly flammable substance and, with time, can form in excess amounts and ignite; leading to a chimney fire. This ignition is usually the result of flames and heat from a fire in the fireplace or wood stove stretching up into the chimney and bringing the creosote to a sufficient ignition temperature (i.e. chimney fire).

How do I recognize a Chimney Fire?
People who have had chimney fires often describe the sound as that of a freight train or jet engine due to the low rumble it produces. When a chimney fire occurs, deposits of creosote will often break off as chunks and fall into the fireplace. Additionally, flames and bits of creosote may be visible at the top opening or vent of the chimney. If you see or experience any of these signs call 911 immediately!

For Fire Place and Chimney safety, along with more information click HERE.

 

Every Home Should Have at Least One Working Smoke AlarmBuy a smoke alarm at any hardware or discount store. It’s inexpensive protection for you and your family. Install a smoke alarm on every level of your home. A working smoke alarm can double your chances of survival. Test it monthly, keep it free of dust and replace the battery at least once a year. Smoke alarms themselves should be replaced after ten years of service, or as recommended by the manufacturer.

Prevent Electrical FiresNever overload circuits or extension cords. Do not place cords and wires under rugs, over nails or in high traffic areas. Immediately shut off and unplug appliances that sputter, spark or emit an unusual smell. Have them professionally repaired or replaced.

Use Appliances WiselyWhen using appliances follow the manufacturer’s safety precautions. Overheating, unusual smells, shorts and sparks are all warning signs that appliances need to be shut off, then replaced or repaired. Unplug appliances when not in use. Use safety caps to cover all unused outlets, especially if there are small children in the home.